T he funeral home was started by George Kramer, in 1896, in Mankato, Kansas. The business was known as the Kramer Funeral Home and Furniture Store. After the Kramer family owned the business for three generations, A.T. (Tobe) and Kathleen Kramer sold the business to Tibbetts Bros., Inc. on November 1, 1984.
Steven and Terri Melby moved to Mankato to manage the business and make their home. After several years the board of directors for Tibbetts Bros. Inc. honored the Melby's with a name change, to the Melby Mortuary.